Asterisk (*) displayed directly under a photo, or at the start of a photo caption:
1. One asterisk (*) - when clicked, the image will be be enlarged.
2. Two asterisks (**) - when clicked, the image will bring you to another page or website.
The "Grand Re-Opening"
* May 15, 2021 - 7:33 p.m.
* May 15, 2021 - 7:34 p.m.
* August 29, 2021
* August 29, 2021
Sunday, August 29th marked the grand re-opening of the Jonathan Dickerman House and Talmadge Cider Mill Barn following an outstanding three-year restoration performed by master carpenter Bob Zoni.
Both of these historic Hamden landmarks were nearly destroyed in the May 15, 2018 tornado that ripped through the northern Mount Carmel section of Hamden.
The reopening was a huge success, with dozens of visitors attending throughout the afternoon to check out the magnificent restorations of both buildings.
The highlight of the event was the dedication of a red bud tree planted on site by the Hamden Historical Society to honor Bob for his outstanding effort and for the meticulously detailed craftsmanship that went into returning both buildings to their original pre-tornado grandeur. Thank you, Bob Zoni!
CLICK HERE or a brief YouTube video of the presentation.
The Jonathan Dickerman House and Talmadge Cider Mill Barn are closed until next year, when they once again will be open to the public for weekend tours.
Here are just some of the attendees gathered to see Ken Minkema's presentation to Bob Zoni.
* Bob Zoni shares his extensive knowledge of building restoration
* Visitors treated to images of the progress
* Ken Minkema with sisters Joan Lyke and Maryellen Lyke Alberino, granddaughters of Clifford Dickerman
* George Talmadge was in the crowd
To our website visitors: This page is still under construction, with numerous additional photos of the August 29th event yet to be edited and posted. We expect everything will be complete by Monday, September 6th. Thank you. DGJ
On Tuesday evening, May 15, 2018, an EF1 tornado ripped through Mount Carmel, downing hundreds of trees on Sleeping Giant and along Mt. Carmel Avenue.
During the storm a huge maple fell onto the 1792 Jonathan Dickerman House right above the front door, crushing the roof and numerous supporting structural members.
Over the last three years, with the help of numerous generous donations and grant money, and the outstanding craftsmanship of master carpenter Bob Zoni, pictured at right with Society president Ken Minkema, the house has been fully restored to its original pre-tornado condition.
On Sunday, August 1, 2021, several members of the Hamden Historical Society's Board of Directors were on hand as the Dickerman House welcomed its first visitors in over three years.
The house will be open for visitors from 1 to 4 p.m. every Sunday this month, with a grand re-opening ceremony scheduled for Sunday August 29th at 1 p.m.
Pictured here with Hamden Historical Society President Ken Minkema (far left) are Noah and David Radcliffe, who were the first visitors to the newly restored Jonathan Dickerman House.
Ken was docent for this first Sunday open house and gave the Radcliffes a full tour of the house and adjacent c.1800 Talmadge Cider Mill Barn, which also was nearly destroyed in the tornado. Like the Dickerman House, the barn was completely restored to its pre-tornado grandeur through generous donations and Bob Zoni's master craftsmanship.
Open house for the Jonathan Dickerman House and the Talmadge Cider Mill Barn will continue each Sunday in August from 1 to 4 p.m., with a grand re-opening ceremony scheduled for 1 p.m. on the last Sunday, August 29th.
Below are some views of the inside.
* The ladderback arm chair is c. 1775-1800. The early 19th century tall clock (Connecticut) has wooden works. The fanback Window chair is likely late 18th century.
* The cherry chest-on-chest is c. 1750-80, probably from Connecticut (brasses not original). The ladderback side chair is c. 1725-50. The cherry dropleaf table is early 19th century. The Windsor chair is likely late 18th century.
* The sampler on the wall, dated July 1, 1823, was by 13-year old Cordelia Goodyear. The Goodyears were among the earliest settlers of Centerville. In the corner cupboard are a late 18th century blown glass mug, an early 19th century blown glass milk bowl, a blown three-mold bowl, and numerous examples 19th century pressed glass.
* Some members of the Society's Board of Directors were present for the August 1st open house. Standing: Bob Zoni, who conducted the restoration of the house, and HHS secretary/treasurer Betsy Gorman. Seated: HHS president Ken Minkema, Al Gorman History Room archivist Kathy Lindbeck, and municipal historian Dave Johnson. (Photo by Lori Minkema)
The Hamden Historical Society welcomes all to this truly historic Hamden house, built in 1792 by Jonathan Dickerman. We hope many of you will take advantage of the open house events that are scheduled for every Sunday this August, from 1 to 4 p.m. Be sure to circle August 29th on your calendar, when the Society will be hosting the official grand re-opening of the Jonathan Dickerman House and Talmadge Cider Mill Barn.
The house looks perfect today, but the slideshow below dramatically illustrates
the devastation to both the house and barn immediately following the tornado.