ALONG THE HARTFORD AND NEW HAVEN TURNPIKE AND CHESHIRE TURNPIKE
by Paul Saubestre
According to Frederic J. Wood's The Turnpikes of New England (1919), in 1798 a company was formed to construct a turnpike from the New Haven Green to Hartford. Two years later, another company built a turnpike to Cheshire. Stone markers were erected every mile to help travelers find their way.
Eight of the nine milestones in Hamden along the Cheshire Turnpike, now Whitney Avenue, remain, as does one of the two markers on Hartford Turnpike in Hamden, with one more nearby in North Haven.
CLICK on any one of the numbered images above to go to that Milestone.
Update on Milestone V
September 23 - Historical Society Researcher Paul Saubestre and other History Room volunteers met today with representatives of Connecticut Department of Transportation at Milestone V, on Whitney Aveue opposite Buell Street, in order to make it more visible and to try to determine why it has listed so dramaticallly since a photo of it was taken in the mid-1970s. CLICK HERE!